As the saying goes, “You are what you think you are”. Regard yourself as the best and that good is going to come your way. It won’t be long before you find others sharing those same positive attitudes about you, what you do and what you stand for. Mentally wipe out any thoughts of failure. Ask yourself: How do I see myself? A failure? Poor me? Just getting by? Hanging in there? Or flat out successful? If you see success, great. You’ve earned it. It all begins with how you think about yourself. Developing confidence in one’s self is a necessary step in developing self-reliance. I believe that when it comes to feeling confident and standing on your own two feet you can’t do better than following these principles:
1. To your own self be true. Listen to your inner voice; don’t let others derail you. March to your own tune.
2. Create positive thinking. Associate with “energy chargers”. Don’t let negativism drag you down.
3. Know that you’re not alone. Remember, millions of people have walked in your footsteps before you, and will do so after you.
4. Learn something new. Get busy, sign up for classes, read a book, get involved in your community. Whatever you do, it’ll rejuvenate your brain cells.
5. Asses the situation. Be realistic. What would really happen if you lost your job, or if business got really bleak? (Tie this commandment in with the next.)
6. Take credit for your accomplishments. Pat yourself on the back. Keep files containing all the complimentary things others have said about you and your work. Review it when things look bleak. In times of crisis, it’s good to have such positive input at hand.
7. Aspire higher. Stretch yourself. Consider your role models in or out of your field of work. Strive to be like them.
8. Don’t bottle things up; get some feedback. Talk things over with those you can trust. Make sure the feedback you get is from someone who is caring and supportive.
9. Take care of yourself. Eat right, exercise, sleep, play. Laugh a lot. Get your life in balance. Learn to make time for yourself.
10. Keep in circulation. When rough times or failure hit, it’s common to withdraw. The sooner you re-involve yourself, the sooner you’ll get back on target.
There is only one you in the entire world, you are an original and no one else can match your features or personality. Your job is to reinforce that fact in your conscious and subconscious mind every day. All people who sell themselves successfully are first sold on themselves. Learn to like yourself and not get caught in a trap of negativism. You are number one, have faith in yourself; you are the greatest product in the world. You can only win in the business of selling yourself by believing you are number one and acting like it!